a trip to grandma's basement.

Dressew is a fabric and notions supply shop in Vancouver - and a bit of a local (regional?) institution. It looks, feels and smells a bit like my grandmother's basement, which I think is part of why I love going there so much.

Growing up, Dressew was the place where my mom and I found discount fabric, sequins and feathers for my dance costumes. Now it is just the place where we can find just about anything sewing or craft related.

This past week I headed over with a list of supplies needed to finish some summer kove designs. With me was a friend who had never been, which made the trip a little more exciting. This place can be pleasantly overwhelming to the lovers of craft.


On the first floor, where do you even start?


And oh, the basement. Aisles of ribbon, zippers and elastic in all colours and sizes. Tubes of buttons lining the walls, organized by colour and style. Racks of discount fabric for upholstery, home decor, clothes and costumes. Hours go by.



En route home, we had to make a stop at Button Button, to make sure there wasn't anything we missed. New in the shop were steampunk buttons, with little gears that actually spin.


After all that excitement (and caffeine) my purchases were modest: discount grey fabric for a tablecloth, grommets and some nautical buttons for a cotton cowl that you'll soon see in the shop.

Good thing I live close by and can dash back for more.

(Since we weren't allowed to take photos inside the store, these shots are from here, here, here and here. Will need to be sneakier next time.)

xo!

PS - Monday is the launch of the eco-themed Poppytalk Handmade Market, the second online marketplace kove is participating in this month. Check back here tomorrow - I'll be posting my market picks.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

share your comments!

 

instagram